I love this super simple dinner. It comforts me! My mom uses to make this. I come from broken and poor family. Money always was a problem – cheap dinner options were welcomed.
I won’t be surprised if you never ate something like this. But I love this simple food. It warms my heart and put a smile on my face. I’m happy where I am right now!
Comfort food: Mashed Potatoes with Smoked Sausage Gravy
Cheap dinner idea
- 6 potatoes (about 1 kg)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 smoked sausage (about 7 inches each) cut into small stripes
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 tbsp flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- MASHED POTATOES: Wash and peel the potatoes and boil in salt water until tender. Drain.
- Heat the milk and meanwhile mash potatoes using a potato masher.
- Slowly blend milk into potatoes until desired consistency. Cover and set aside.
- GRAVY: Heat oil in the frying pan. Add chopped onion and cook for few minutes, add sausage stripes. Stir-fry for a minute. Add flour and stir-fry.
- Add cold water – stir and let it simmer for few minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. More water if needed.