Yellow split pea stew is my favorite winter dish! This is a dish from a childhood except we didn’t eat it with ham… we ate it with lard. This is my luxury version that includes carrot and bell paper and onions are fried in oil together with ham.
There is no need for the recipe I guess, but if you are looking for one, here you go:
Yellow split peas with ham
Dish from childhood memories
- 11/2 cups yellow split peas washed
- 2 carrots
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1 onion chopped
- 200 grams ham chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- oil for cooking
- In a pot over medium heat add 2 tbsp oil, cubed carrot and bell pepper. Fry for few minutes.
- Add split peas and enough water (about 3 cups), salt and cover. Cover and bring to boil.
- Lower the heat and cook until tender. Don’t forget to stir occasionally! If it’s getting too dry add more water.
- Meanwhile, in the frying pan heat the oil and onions. Stir-Fry until golden brown. Add ham and mix until well combined and heated through.
- Serve yellow split peas topped with fried onions & ham. Add sour cream if desired!