My Mom used to make Pončiki when I was a little girl. Since the rain isn’t stopping here in Latvia decide to make Pončiki for my little girls.
After a short call to my Mom and a half of hour, I had a full bowl of freshly fried Pončiki. Golden brown and delicious. Crunchy from the outside and fluffy on the inside.
- 600 grams Russian quark
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup flour (or a bit more)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- oil for frying
- Pour the oil into a heavy bottomed pot and start heating slowly.
- Mix the quark, eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a bowl.
- Mix flour with baking powder and add to the mixture. Mix until combined and dough forms a ball.
- With wet hands form a small ball (approx. 1 tbsp per ball) and put into heated oil carefully. Cook the Pončiki until they are golden brown on both sides. Keep making them in batches until you have fried all the batter. Make sure they aren’t sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Take out and let them drain on a paper towel. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.