This is one of the traditional Latvian dishes for the autumn and winter season. It is traditional Latvian Christmas dish! I usually make gray peas more than needed and then heat them up on the next day but not on New Year’s Eve! On the New Year’s Eve, everyone has to eat peas in order not to have tiers for the upcoming year. Not a single pea can be left on the table! And the trick for this is not to eat only peas until all the peas are gone, but to prepare only a few tablespoons for every eater! So it’s still enjoyable!
The recipe is simple:
Grey Peas With Bacon & Onions
Traditional Latvian cold season dish.
- 1 cup big gray peas
- 150 grams smoked bacon
- 1 big onion
- salt to taste
- Soak gray peas overnight to shorten the cooking time. But soaking isn’t entirely necessary.
- Cook gray peas in salt water until tender.
- Heat oil in the frying pan and fry chopped onion. Stir-fry until golden brown.
- Add chopped smoked bacon and stir-fry until combined and heated through.
- Serve gray peas topped with bacon & onion mix (and a glass of kefir).