Linna’s kitchen: Meatball soup (Frikadeļu zupa)
She is only 3 years old (soon 4!) but she shows her interest in cooking! I’m happy to have such girl as a helper and who new maybe one day I won’t have to deal with cooking. Not like I don’t like it, sometimes it is just too much 🙂
So, here we were yesterday, staying just two of us in the house and cooking Linna’s favorite soup – Meatball soup! She helped me with onion and carrot peeling (and eating!) and made half of the meatballs for the soup. Recipe below.
Russian Meatball soup
- 2 liters water
- 6-8 peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 carrots
- 5 big potatoes
- For Meatballs
- 500 gr pork mince
- 1 onion
- 1 1/2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp grind black pepper
- 1/2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 tbs sour cream
- Peel and slice carrots in half lengthwise. Slice the halves widthwise into half moons. Place the carrots, peppercorn, salt and the water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel potatoes and cut into cubes. Add to pot.
- Immediately in a medium bowl mix together meatball ingredients. The mince mix should hold together. The best way to mix it is to lift it up from the bowl with hand and throw it back into the bowl, repeat few times.
- With wet teaspoon take mince mix and with the wet hands form small balls, put on the plate or board.
- Add meatballs to soup, to be sure they aren't sticking together, pour over liquid from the soup or add few in a ladle and dip into the liquid. Repeat until all meatballs are in the soup.
- Simmer 10-15 minutes. Ready to serve.